Harry is a Shitzu-Coton DeTulear mix named after Harry the Dirty dog, a beloved children’s book series. Harry loves walks around the Borough, especially for a hike each morning at Glen Providence Park. He is a popular fellow around town and has many dog and human friends.
The holiday season is upon us, and many pet parents plan to include their furry companions in the festivities. Harry wants to remind pet owners that as you gear up for the holidays, it is important to try to keep your pet’s eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible. Also, please be sure to follow these steps from the ASPCA to steer pets clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic plants and dangerous decorations.
Be Careful with Seasonal Plants and Decorations
- Secure your Christmas tree to the ground and beware of stagnant water.
- Avoid mistletoe and holly as they are poisonous
- Tinsel can cause digestive problems
- Do not leave candles unattended
- Keep electrical cords hidden
Avoid Holiday Food Dangers
- Keep pets away from any toxic foods
- Do not feed them any dangerous leftovers
- Place your alcoholic beverages out of reach
- Pick their gifts wisely
Plan a Pet-Safe Holiday Gathering
- Establish house pet rules for your guests
- Lock away your medications
- Give them a quiet space to retreat to
- Be cautious of the danger of New years fireworks