Arrow Says: Signs and Symptoms of Blue-Green Algae Intoxication

Arrow came to her owners last April a quiet, unsure pup rescued from Georgia that had just run away from her recent foster family. The owners took her in not expecting to keep her but we fell in love- of course! Less than a year later she is thriving. She is happy, loving and somewhat skeptical about a few people given her past but she warms up over time. Arrow loves doing “zoomies” all over the yard, squeaky toys belly rubs, snuggling under blankets and generally making her moms happy. As evidenced in this photo, her favorite place is on the terrace enjoying the sunshine!

Because Arrow loves being outside in the sunshine, she wants to warn pet owners of the dangers of blue-green algae. Many pet parents are not aware of the severity of blue-green algae intoxication. So the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) wants to make sure you have all the information you need to keep your furry friends safe. 

Dogs can develop poisoning when they drink from, or even swim in, contaminated water sources. If blue-green algae is ingested, it can cause severe neurologic or liver damage. 

Signs of blue-green algae toxicity includes: 

  • Seizures
  • Panting
  • Excessive drooling
  • Respiratory failure
  • Diarrhea
  • Disorientation
  • Vomiting
  • Liver failure 
  • Ultimately death 

If your dog begins to experience any of these symptoms, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. 

Click here to learn more about the dangers of blue green algae from the ASPCA or refer to the graphic below.