Keep children safe by following these guidelines:
- When you meet or overtake a stopped school bus with red signal lights flashing and stop arm extended, you MUST STOP.When you approach an inter section where a school bus is stopped with red signal lights flashing and stop arm extended, you MUST STOP
- You MUST STOP at least ten (10) feet away from the school bus
- You MUST WAIT until the red lights have stopped flashing and the stop arm has been withdrawn before moving.
- DO NOT MOVE until all the children have reached a place of safety.
KNOW YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1.5 million children are transported on Pennsylvania roads each day.
- These children are transported more than 346 million miles to school each year.
If you are convicted of violating Pennsylvania’s School Bus Stopping Law, you will receive all of the following penalties:
- Five (5) points on your driving record
- 60-Day Driver’s License Suspension
- $250 Fine
Annually, over 1,000 motorists do not obey the School Bus
Separate Roadways: Drivers do not have to stop on a highway with clearly defined dividing sections or physical barriers providing separate roadways. This only applies when the school bus is on the opposite side of the road.
Our children’s safety is in your hands. If in doubt, STOP!